I had a wonderful time at the 2018 Charlotte Huck Children’s Literature Festival. I presented “Using Fiction to Interest Young Readers in Nonfiction”, and got to meet some amazing authors.
With literary agency sister Erin Dealey, author of K IS FOR KINDERGARTEN.
With Marc Tyler Nobleman, author of BOYS OF STEEL.
With Janay Brown, author of IMANI’S MOON.
With Karen Jameson, author of the upcoming MOON BABIES, and Dianne White, author of BLUE ON BLUE.
With Newbery Honoree Kathi Appelt, author of MAYBE A FOX.
With Coretta Scott King Medalist illustrator James Ransome and his equally talented wife author Lesa Cline-Ransome.
Closing session speaker Georgia Heard presented “Seeing the World with a Poet’s Eye.” I loved the following slide that said poets…
- Observe the small moments around us
- Find poetry in the ordinary
- See beauty in the ugly
- Are curious and filled with wonder
- Look at the world in a new way
- Pay attention to and write from all our feelings
- Love the meaning the sounds of words
- Give voice to the unspeakable
- Are empathetic